What compromises online privacy and how to fight it
If you want to avoid identity theft then is very important to maintain privacy while you are online. Also you need to have online privacy if you do not want to share your personal details with the rest of the world. There are surprisingly many ways through which you can give away your personal details online. There are spam emails by clicking on which you can give away your information. Also this is promoted in various social networking sites or on many company websites. Your privacy while you are online will not be hampered if you are using a VPN.
There are also certain companies or organizations that withhold information about you that will enable you to carry out transactions with them. All this organizations are subject to data protection act but you still need to be careful.
The risks involved regarding online privacy
The various kinds of risks that are there if you are not protected are:-
- Identity theft
- Extortion or blackmail
- Character defamation
- Selling and marketing that are unsolicited
- There are people who will become aware of your personal information that they can use against you.
- Also the employers can use this information to exploit their employees
- The various ways through which online privacy is compromised
- There are several unencrypted email and also many interactions with the websites including one’s employer and ISP, that can be monitored
- Privacy can also be compromised via phishing. This is a process by which an illicit email forces you to click on it by which you will go to some other nonsense websites that will collect your financial information.
- There is also another method known as dishing that is voice phishing that includes privacy violations by fraud calls.
- Using unsecured Wi-Fi networks can also compromise your online privacy.
- Use of unencrypted links for sensitive communications
- While banking if you do not use secure websites then it might be a problem.
- Usage of weak passwords
- Use of unsecured email or web mail accounts
Methods of protecting your privacy online
- Always have Antivirus or antispyware software that are updated
- Using of secured websites while you are shopping or banking online.
- After finishing your work always remember to log out from any websites
- Using of strong passwords is recommended
- Make sure that the Wi-Fi that you are using is safe and secure.
- If you are working with your computer in a public place check your computer physically. Make sure that money outside devices such as any USB or pen drive is attached to it.
- One should not use their work place email address for personal work. To do your personal works have a private account.
- It is very much suggested whenever possible use a different name for your online accounts.
- There are certain websites that will require your email address for registration purpose so in that case it is recommended to use anonymous and disposable weak accounts.
- Using a proper VPN will also help.
- You should make sure that your personal and financial documents are stored securely.